Monday, January 31, 2011

Lunch with Friends

Yesterday, my husband and I had the opportunity to visit with some friends from church for lunch.  We enjoyed the fellowship and laughter.  Due to health concerns, their family has gone mostly organic in their diet. We were entertained when she told us that "No Preservatives" was written "on the rolls". . .and her husband began examining the roll he had. . .

I am delighted to have such friends.  Before I moved to Tennessee, I began praying that God would give me a friend.  I knew that in order to have friends, I would need to "show myself friendly," but in a place where I would be a "newcomer," I knew it would still take a while.  I am thankful that God saw fit to quickly give me a friend.

As I look back over my life, I realize that it seems most times I had a major life change, I can think back on at least one friend who helped me "make it."  I look back fondly on the girl who helped me when we moved to the city. . .I was such a "country-bumpkin."  I chuckle remembering not knowing what to wear for Mix-Match Day at school. . .literally, everything I owned was khaki, pink, or blue.  I remember that I worked so hard to find something that didn't match.  I went to the basement and found an old, hot pink, plaid shirt that my mom used to wear and paired it with some kind of skit (I think flowered, but I don't really remember).  I know it didn't match.  When I went to homeroom to be graded, I was heart-broken because my homeroom teacher wouldn't give me spirit points because she thought I did match!  My friend helped me learn to do my hair and make-up.  She also had beautiful clothes.  I remember feeling that she was not only one of the few people who accepted and loved me for who I was, but also helped me become better in my weak areas. . . and we were only in junior high school.

Today, a friend of mine came back from Hawaii and brought me a bag of Kona coffee!  I don't think I'll make it to Hawaii for a long time, but what a treat to drink up a little Hawaii for the next few days!

I am so thankful for all of the people who have come into my life and influenced me for the good.

No comments: