Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The secret to life. . .

I've heard a lot these days about knowing what you want and doing everything you can to accomplish your goals.  Things like "point of view" and living by your own standard.  The funny thing is that I realized through a course of events that even though humanism is being pushed into every corner, it is disguising a bigger item.  Somehow, in the midst of doing "your own thing"  you end up simply being approved by others and doing what everyone else is doing. . .but what about doing God's thing?  What about God's point of view?  What about God's standard?  


I have certain priorities and goals in my life.  Things like taking care of my family come before pursuing a career. Things like church come before pursuing entertainment.  Taking care of myself is controlled in proportion to all of my responsibilities - but it does get done because it is important.  My goals consist of using my talents to lessen my grocery budget, accomplishing God's will every day, and allowing Him to direct my paths.


All of the previously mentioned things seem to be very foreign to many people - including those who are Christians.  I suppose we have allowed the world to influence our thinking instead of allowing Christ to transform our minds.  Romans 12:2 says, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."


My husband preached a series recently in our church that had to do with a Christian's priorities.  Those were including God, one's spouse, family, and church.  It seems easy to say that one's priorities are in the correct place, but are they really?  


I once read a portion of a book that mentioned the fact that we judge ourselves upon our intentions, but we judge others by their actions.  That really challenged me to re-think my actions vs. my intentions - especially since others are judging me on my actions.  They cannot read my mind!  I intend to have God as my priority, but when I'm running late, do my actions convey that brushing my teeth (and impressing people) is more important that reading my Bible?  I intend to love God and enjoy being a Christian, but do my actions of verbalizing judgement portray distrust?  I intend to love my spouse, but do my actions of pursuing my career make him feel unloved?  I intend to serve others, but do my actions of pushing them aside to put myself first show otherwise?


I believe life is a journey.  I believe we make mistakes and learn lessons because we are human.  I believe each mistake leads my thought process to have faith in God's perfection.  We never will be flawless, but we can have a perfect heart.  I Kings 8:61 says, "Let your heart therefore be perfect with the Lord our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day."  That word "perfect" means complete (from keeping a covenant relation), safe, and peaceful.  If I keep my relationships right, I will have a perfect heart - the heart that God wants me to have.  If I keep my priorities right, I will have the perfect goals - the goals that God wants me to have.

1 comment:

Josh Leathers said...

this author has excelled at making her husband feel loved:)