Thursday, August 11, 2011

Love Them

Recently, there was someone who did something to hurt my feelings . . .intentionally.  I think that is the worst thing.  A lot of times, people hurt us, but for me, it is easier when I can give them the benefit of the doubt that they really didn't mean to hurt me.

So, as I was dwelling on it later in the day (as I am prone to be a deep thinker), I began to pray about the situation - knowing that I can not change the other person, but I can change myself . . .and needed help doing so.

I was very frustrated as I was praying, "Lord, help me to. . ." - and before I could even think of the word I had meant to put in there (you know, "teach her a lesson" or "ignore her" or "get back at her" :) ), the Holy Spirit put the words into my prayer, "love her."

My flesh screamed, "That's not what I wanted to say!" But I knew that was what I needed to do.  I needed to love her - like Jesus would.  Jesus, Who, when He was tortured and nailed to a cross said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

And I remembered a portion of scripture I have been ruminating on.  Romans 8:26-27.  "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:  but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.  And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."

I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit knew what I needed to pray.  I am so thankful that He is here to help me with everyday living.  I am so thankful that He will not only help me pray, but will also make intercession for me with "groanings which cannot be uttered. . .according to the will of God."  I do not know God's will for my whole life, but at that moment, the will of God was to love my neighbor as myself.

I was further helped to understand the big picture (instead of my small pinhole of sight into the situation) when I went to church last night.  My husband was preaching (he is my favorite preacher!) about unity in the church.  He said, "You must have teamwork to make the dream work."  He continued to explain when everyone has their own agenda, no one will get along, but when we have the same agenda and goal, we will be able to make our dream work.  I realized at that point that the reason this person was not very nice to me was that she had her own agenda.  It was not my agenda, and as far as I could tell was not my authority's agenda.  When I realized that, I was okay with her being hurtful.  I was helped.  Everything was okay.

"Our Father which art in heaven, 
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done
in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, 
as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, 
but deliver us from evil:  
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power,
and the glory,
for ever.
Amen."

Matthew 6:9-13

No comments: